Monday, October 1, 2007

Hasta la victoria siempre. ¡Patria o muerte! ¡Venceremos! ...


Have just returned from Che’s house in Alta Gracia. I got out in my shorts because yesterday I was sweating I’m my Bolivian fleece in a theater, so I guessed shorts would be more appropriate than pants and fleece in Cordoba. How do you guess the weather here? Anyway, I was debating whether to go or not talking to my espresso cup in a late afternoon today. I decided to go. The bus broke down on a midway to town and a wind was trying to its best to throw us off the road. We were distributed over several buses along the way and finally made it to Alta Gracia, a place where a great Che was razed.

I never thought of him as great. Really, he was a charismatic figure in history, very appealing to the young ¨revolutionaries¨ and fashion companies to market their otherwise unsold shit. So there he was, a black siluet usually on a red background strongly associated with Soviets, Cuba and stupid western or westernized teens. Well, apparently it is not that simple. I’ve learned a bit along the way, heard some people in Latin America, and finally made to his homeland and hometown. Although, he was born in Rosario, his childhood was spent in Alta Gracia. His semi-aristocratic parents brought him here because of his asthma attacks. In any case, the things I learned about Che made me think differently of him. First of all his travels in Latin America, his first means of transportation was a bike, then a motorcycle. I always wanted to do a cross-country on a motorbike back in US. Probably was not meant to be. Also, the movie ¨Motorcycle Diaries¨ are based on this trip. Then he spent a good amount of time in Mexico, one of my favorite countries in Latin America, where he met Fidel Castro.

He is not just a charismatic figure with black curls, a beret, and a cigar. He was an intellectual and father; he loved chess and drinking mate. But none of that was important comparing to the Revolution. His last words in the letter to his older daughter were to be a good revolutionary. Being Soviet born and somewhat raised, it is impossible for me to comprehend. However, Che, being an idealist and to some extent naïve, he just wished that justice would lead the world or at least this part of the world. I was surprised to learn that he resigned all the important political positions he occupied in Cuba and went to Congo to try to make a revolution there. He failed and got back to South America where he died with a ¨coward bullet ¨in Bolivia and was buried in common grave.

Now, you think I’m trying to education you. Well yes I am, and myself too. A famous image if Che in every wall, a T-shirt and even a tie would usually piss me off. Not only because most people don’t even know who he was and what he stand for, but, simply because it was another fashion for them, like wearing Nike sneakers or small black Adidas backpacks.

I’m in Latin America, I too have black curls and smoke cigars. Just need to get a beret and get used to this terrible mate...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

aha, i echo revolution tebe ne hvataet....

www.HoneyShoppe.com said...

A ti mozhesh privezti mate i shtuchku iz kotoroy ego nado pit' ?

Anonymous said...

Dan, whats up!
Why dont you open an account on myspace, your website is disfunctional at times. Well anyways, just reading your posts. Very cool, the "russian story" is hilerious. Post more,,,, U cant just leave it like that......
Is there some sort of Thanksgiving where you are at?
Hola!
PS, LOL, I cant get the verificATION WORD FOR THE 7TH TIME

dan said...

Hello ¨mi familia¨.
To: Inna
Here is a new respond to my old ¨Revolution¨

To:Kesha
here!

To: Aliza
Site should be functional at all times. Don’t have myspace, however, have a facebook
account. Never really figured out how it works or why I need it…

VCocco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VCocco said...

VCoco said...

Thanks for the tits, love. Cheered me (and the postman) immensely. Glad you've come to a decision. Always an accomplishment.

"I warn you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself, and yourself alone, one question...Does this path have a heart? The trouble is nobody asks this question; and when a man realizes he has taken a path without a heart, the path is ready to kill him. At that point very few men can stop to deliberate, and leave the path. For me there is only the travelling on paths that have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking breathlessly."

—Carlos Castenada

Soidoc said...

Hello, honey.

I don't have the slightest doubt that you're pissed at me for not being here, even though I tried to contact you many times.

Dan, I can't function like that, leaving comments in your blog seems so surreal and wrong. I do read it, though, and I miss you very much. Well, you can't imagine just how much I need you at times when something happens and no one, NO ONE can provide me with the same insightful (lol!) and amusing feedback.

It's not just that, I guess I never managed to make peace with the fact that you'd left and, on top of that, are having so much fun now. I know, I know, it sounds wrong and selfish, it's just that you should be here... I dread to think that I'll leave before you come back, I'd hate this to happen, I actually find myself unable to trust in my own decision before you have approved them, you BITCH!

Anyway, I miss you. I'm happy for you. I don't fell that you're content. I guess the travels will go on...

Anonymous said...

Интересный текст. Буду рад прочитать ещё.