Friday, April 6, 2007

The beginning

Never had a journal or a blog, so this will be a little difficult for me.. I have decided to write in English. First off all, because I can no longer hand write Russian letters in my leather bound travel journal. Second, it seems sometimes easier to express my thoughts while writing in English, however, it does require lot of editing and correction in the future. An the last but not least reason, it is virtually impossible to write in Russian in Internet cafes of Latin America.

So here we go:

Things happen along the way, fun stuff, sad stuff. Stories tend to layer one on top of the other. The experience is so rich that I get angry out the fact that it is almost impossible to deliver using words or any other way (media) of communication known to me. So, I´ll stick with words.

March 24. Belize City, Belize.

Belize City is a scary place according to my guide book and the people I met so far. The most common description that it is a shitty town, and looks like any other Asian dirty town. With one exception, the crime level is very high. I would not have end up here, if not my desire to pass through all the countries in Central America. Belize is a first one along the way. The guide boo, however, suggests that city is worth visiting during the day time.
Well, here I am sitting in a very, what I understand Caribbean environment. A local bar with loud Jamaican music and even louder people. My waitress, a Mexican Chinese looking Belizian, is very curious of me and my writing. Curiosity is, I think, a keyword here in Belize, and also my reasoning for most situations which occurred later.
The beginning of my journey to Belize originated in Mexico, down south of Cancun, a little place called Tulum. This was a very nice experience except for the fact that my stupidity and careless led to a small tragedy. Which is some of my electronics got into salty water (Atlantic Ocean). I was very afraid for my camera. This is the single most important piece of equipment I own. It provides me (and all the others) with vivid reminders of the places and people. Also this is the ultimate proof of my journey.
It was my luck that my not thinking ahead did not destroy my colorful “memory collector”. However, the cell phone is dead. The phone was not only communication device to me but also a watch, an alarm clock, mp3 player, Spanish translator, compass and 8 hours of Spanish lessons.., all gone. This upset me a lot at first but some time later I thought, what the hell, maybe there “destiny”, “things happen for a reason” kinda thing... I also lost my sunglasses, I liked the a lot. This all happened in what I call “Mayan Trail”. The trail trough the ocean by the cliff. The guy I met at the hostel and I went to the Tulum Ruin and after that we decided to go to the beach around the main road, through the ocean, like Mayas used to do, or like Jesus. Well I paid for this a great deal...

No comments: