Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Honduras

I decided to that it was time to leave San Salvador and go see some of the best Mayan ruins – the Copan ruins. There was a nice town 30km before, called Santa Rosa de Copan. So, I was supposed to get the bus to the border (to El Poy) and catch another bus from there. When I got to the bus terminal there was a bus going to Santa Rosa. I asked the driver is that was “directo”, he said yes. I was in luck, or so I thought. After several hours the bus stopped and I did not see anything but another bus and I was told to get on it to the border. Well I did, I was pretty surprises when the name of the border town was El Amatillo. It was west side of El Salvador, way off where I needed to go. Apparently, there was a town called Santa Rosa in Honduras, hmm.., what a coincidence. The only way to go anywhere from here was Tegucigalpa. I did not want to go to Tegucigalpa but after some thinking I’ve realized that there was no choice. I pretended to be blind and deaf when moneychangers came up to me, I swore never to deal with them again. So, I hoped on the next bus to Tegucigalpa. I was sitting there hating myself, border-crossing, buses (I’ve been on the road for about 16 hours), El Salvador. Then I saw a couple, English speaking (I did not hear English for since I left the hotel). Brits, the girl had a puppet, the boy looked worse than me. I got curios and asked him what happened when we stopped for snack. He told me that on the same border (El Amatillo) when he got in fight over $2 with a tuk-tuk driver his money belt was stripped off him. The money, the cards all gone, only the passport was left, he had it in his hand. I could not help touching my pockets during his story telling. I pitied him a lot and at the same time I could not help thinking that all that shit which happened to me, was really nothing comparing the loss of my wallet. I don’t wear money belt and I do have a spear card but still that is a very bad situation to be in and I as glad that this did not happen to me, and hopefully it won’t. I’ll probably have to buy a machete especially for border crossing.

No comments: