Sunday, April 29, 2007

Utila & Copan

I did not really expect much of Honduras but in fact, it is actually a very beautiful and interesting country. It is also very diverse and mush more cultural than any other countries and cities I’ve seen in Central America. Anyways, here we go:

Utila
They say that it is a diving paradise, and it is! In fact it is probably the cheapest place in the world to get scuba license. The diving was not as great as the Red See but it was also pretty neat. I got to dive 10 times + a night dive. There are a bunch of pictures on the web site, I was practicing my underwater photography, and I think I’m progressing. The night dive was very special, the last time I was night diving was about a year ago, so, I don’t remember much. But this one was really cool; the water was very dense filled with florescent plankton. We looked like Jedi masters with our flash lights in the night sea. Unfortunately I could not really take a picture of that because the camera with flash can’t show what was going on. I should’ve taken a video... And another cool thing, the fishes were asleep, so I could take close up shots and tickle their bellies. Utila was also much more fun than Caye Calker and much cheaper. The people (all divers) were a lot of fun. The beer was $1.00. Additionally there were ¨booze cruses¨. You can guess how that went

Copan
It took me a while to get there, I even considered not going. But I went and it was worth it. It has the best preserved Mayan sculptures in the whole Mesoamerica. The glyphs were amazing. There is a staircase there, it contains about 4000 glyphs, and they tell the story of Copan. Also, there had to be a statue of one of the most important ruler of Copan, his name was 18 Rabbit. However, the stature was taken by the American archeologists as a payment for recovering the ruins. Now, it is in one of the Boston’s museum. Mental note: I need to see it; otherwise the picture will not be complete.
The town, called Copan Ruinas, was also very cute. I got to smoke some good cigars and drank good coffee. It was more expensive than anywhere else in Honduras (even in La Ceiba) but it was very relaxing. I even got a job offer there from one of the Americans who live there, he had a telecommunication company. It was kind of tempting but I easily rejected it. My time did not come yet.

I´m in Tigusigalpa right now. There was a taxi strike - fun. Nice city, will write about it later. I´m also going to a football game tonight... How about that!?
Tomorrow, I should be in Nicaragua.
Adios.

2 comments:

Главный блог Нью-Йорка said...

А пиво-то какое дорогое! 1 доллар, в России 20 рублей бутылка :)

Unknown said...

Copan ,suda po photos-amazing!
underwater photos- Unbelievable!!!!
Ti, deistvitelno, vse luchshe i luchshe! A govorish, stihi ne lubish! Nekootrie pictures, kak poezia!( eto I posle PAsternaka na poeticheskiy lad nastroena)
Tolko malo rasskazov, chto konkretno proishodilo- ludi, sobitiya, hochetsa ne shematichno, a podrobno!